Two arrested after wrong-way driver crashes into deputy head-on

JANESVILLE, Wis. — A wrong-way driver crashed into a Rock County Sheriff’s Office deputy head-on Tuesday night after he was chased by police, officials said.

In a Facebook post, the sheriff’s office said a deputy saw a driver heading north in the southbound lanes of Highway 26 near McCormick Road. The deputy tried to stop the driver, but they continued on.

The deputy did not pursue the driver but saw him again later as the deputy was driving north on Highway 26. The driver was heading south in the northbound lanes. The sheriff’s office said the driver then hit the deputy’s vehicle head-on.

In a press release Wednesday, Janesville police said they stopped the driver at 2615 Milton Avenue at around 7 p.m. Tuesday. Officers said they saw drug paraphernalia in the vehicle and attempted to arrest the driver and a passenger, but the driver allegedly fled the scene.

Officers chased after the suspect vehicle but stopped near Highway 26 after the driver made evasive maneuvers. It was after this chase that the Rock County deputy encountered the suspect and the crash occurred.

The suspect allegedly ran away from the scene but was later arrested by police and Sheriff’s deputies in the 3500 block of Voda Drive.

The deputy was hospitalized but is expected to be treated and released.

The suspect, a 38-year-old Janesville man, was reportedly out on bond for numerous charges including resisting an officer and possession of drug paraphernalia. He now faces charges from Janesville Police of fleeing an officer, possession of THC, possession of Amphetamine, possession of drug paraphernalia, and trespass to a dwelling.

The Rock County Sheriff’s Office said they would also have charges for the man, but those have not been publicized.

A second person, a 35-year-old man, was arrested and faces charges of violating probation, possession of THC, possession of Amphetamine, and possession of drug paraphernalia.

Highway 26 was closed between McCormick Drive and Harmony Town Hall Road for roughly two hours between 7:30 p.m. and 9:30 p.m. while officials responded to the scene, according to the Wisconsin Department of Transportation.