Sparking Hoverboard prompts warning from fire officials
Fire crews responded to a report of a self-balancing scooter sparking on Madison’s east side Tuesday, officials said.
Firefighters responded to a condo in the 1900 block of Northport Drive at 8:29 p.m. for a report of a malfunctioning so-called Hoverboard.
Fire officials said the Powerboard brand device was unplugged by the time a crew arrived. No smoke or other hazards were present, and no fire was produced.
Firefighters advised the owner not to plug in the board again, and the owner said she intended to return the board.
The self-balancing scooters were recalled in July 2016, according to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission. The lithium-ion battery packs in the boards can overheat, posing a risk of the products smoking, catching fire or exploding, according to the recall release. The boards were sold at mall kiosks operated by Hoverboard at dozens of locations nationwide, online at Amazon.com and via the company’s website from September 2015 through April 2016 for between $350 and $1,000, the CPSC said.
COPYRIGHT 2023 BY CHANNEL 3000. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. THIS MATERIAL MAY NOT BE PUBLISHED, BROADCAST, REWRITTEN OR REDISTRIBUTED.