Severe gas leak causes area near east side Princeton Club to evacuate
MADISON, Wis. — Multiple buildings on Madison’s east said were evacuated Saturday for what officials called a severe gas leak.
Madison Fire Department officials said the leak was coming from underground near the Princeton Club in the 1700 block of Eagan Road. A person reported that they were smelling gas behind a building shortly after 3 p.m.
Crews are at the scene and buildings within a block were evacuated. Officials said businesses were called and told to evacuate.
The gas was shut off by 4:07 p.m., but streets and buildings remained closed so they could be ventilated of the natural gas.
As of 7 pm., the area on Eagan Road between East Towne Boulevard and Lien and Theirer roads remained close. Madison fire said the area also included the west end of East Towne Mall’s parking lot from Planet Fitness to Animart.
Officials said it could take several more hours before the area was clear.
COPYRIGHT 2022 BY CHANNEL 3000. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. THIS MATERIAL MAY NOT BE PUBLISHED, BROADCAST, REWRITTEN OR REDISTRIBUTED.