Pressure washer causes carbon monoxide incident at Madison apartment

Madison Fire Department

MADISON, Wis. — An apartment on Madison’s west side saw high levels of carbon monoxide Saturday because of a pressure washer.

Fire Department officials said a cleaning crew was using a gas-powered pressure washer to clean a parking area in the basement. Firefighters were called to the apartment in the 700 block of Knickerbocker Street at around 1:30 p.m. after a CO alarm activated in a third-floor hallway.

Air monitors showed that CO levels were about 80 parts per million in an elevator, and 60-70 ppm on the third floor. No residents reported feeling sick.

A fan was used to ventilate each floor, and the garage doors were opened to ventilate the area where the washer was used.