MFD: Improperly disposed cigarette likely caused fire on apartment building deck

MFD: Improperly disposed cigarette likely caused fire on apartment building deck
Copyright 2019 by Channel 3000. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Firefighters believe an improperly discarded cigarette likely caused an apartment fire on Madison’s east side, according to a release by the city’s fire department.

The third-story apartment is located along the 3300 block of Packers Avenue.

Deck Fire The Result Of Improperly Discarded Cigarettes Location: 3300 block Packers Avenue Incident Type: Smoking Dispatch: 06/25/2019 6:36pm A fire that resulted from improperly discarded cigarettes was caught early thanks to an o… https://t.co/vlwd1mKRdG

— Madison Fire Dept. (@MadisonWIFire) June 26, 2019

On Tuesday evening, a neighbor called 911 after noticing a small fire on the deck of the apartment, said Cynthia Schuster a public information officer with the fire department.

Firefighters used an extinguisher to put out the small fire, Schuster said.

A man living at the home said he typically smokes on the deck. He usually throws his cigarettes in a water-filled container, but it was empty Tuesday night. He also said he keeps the container in a cardboard box, according to the release.

Firefighters are reminding people to properly dispose of any smoking materials and to avoid placing those items near combustible materials, like cardboard.

Get your weather forecast from people who actually live in your community. We update with short, easy-to-use video forecasts you can watch on your phone every day. Download the iOS or Android app here.