Mail Carrier Extinguishes Fire Caused By Cigarettes

Smoking material deposited in dried potting soil caused $10,000 in damage to a second-story apartment Friday, according to the Madison Fire Department

Before Madison firefighters arrived, a mail carrier kicked in the door at 17 Ridgeview Court and put out the fire with a dry chemical extinguisher. The tenant and maintenance personnel assisted, according to a department news release.

The tenant was able to return to the apartment and has renter’s insurance to help pay for damage, fire officials said.

Fire crews found charring to the attic and cleared the smoke out of the attic area using positive pressure fans, the release said.