Madison resident displaced after basement fire sparked by appliance
MADISON, Wis. — A Madison resident was displaced after a fire at their home.
Officials said the resident returned to their home in the 900 block of Pebble Beach Drive to find it filled with smoke and ash. There were no signs of an ongoing fire, but all surfaces were covered in about a quarter-inch of ash.
Firefighters were sent to the scene and headed to the basement, where the smoke was heavier. An appliance believed to be a dehumidifier seemed to have caught fire and burned up. Officials said they could not positively identify that the appliance was a humidifier because it was burned to ashes.
The appliance was surrounded by non-flammable objects and the fire did not spread. No other fire or heat-related damage was located, and no pets were home at the time of the fire.
Windows and doors were opened to clear out smoke, but the house is temporarily uninhabitable because of toxic air conditions.
COPYRIGHT 2022 BY CHANNEL 3000. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. THIS MATERIAL MAY NOT BE PUBLISHED, BROADCAST, REWRITTEN OR REDISTRIBUTED.