Madison firefighters respond to 7 fires in a day

Fire forces evacuation of east side restaurant

Madison firefighters responded to seven fires on Tuesday, several caused by outdoor burning.

Fire officials said the first fire was reported shortly after noon in the 800 block of Williamson Street, where firefighters put out an exterior fire before the person inside was aware of it. That fire is under investigation.

At about the same time, firefighters were also called to an outdoor fire at the Sequoya Library branch on Tokay Boulevard. That fire is also under investigation.

At 2:30 p.m., firefighters responded to a report of smoldering mulch under the front steps of an apartment building. A cigarette butt was found in the mulch.

Firefighters on the north side were called to a cooking fire in the 3800 block of School Road at 2:45 p.m. One person was taken to UW Hospital.

A resident burning construction material prompted firefighters to respond to the 700 block of Gannon Avenue at 6:45 p.m. Firefighters briefed the homeowner on city ordinances regarding outdoor burning. The fire was put out.

At about the same time, firefighters were also called to a building fire believed to be started by children playing with a lighter. The damage was limited to burned carpet with slight charring to the wooden step under the carpet.

And just before 4 a.m., firefighters were called to a residence in the 500 block of West Wilson Street where someone allegedly took a smoldering log out of the backyard burn pit, placed it on one of the lawn chairs and melted it. Several other chairs had smoldering sticks on them and melted holes.

Firefighters officials are reminding residents that spring is a dangerous time for outdoor fires.