Lightning believed to spark fire on Madison’s near east side
MADISON, Wis. — Lightning is believed to be the cause of a fire on Madison’s near east side Sunday night.
Crews were called just before 11:30 p.m. to the 1200 block of Rutledge Street.
Residents said they heard a loud crack just before a smoke alarm went off.
Firefighters found a lot of smoke in the basement and had to use imagining cameras to find where the fire started. They had it knocked down a few minutes later.
Two resident were displaced, but no one was hurt. Damage is estimated at $40,000.