Janesville resident burnt after siphoning gas from car with vacuum

Fire truck generic

JANESVILLE, Wis. — A Janesville resident was taken to the hospital after a fire broke out in their garage Sunday.

Janesville Fire Department crews were called to the garage in the 4100 block of North River Road just after 11 a.m. The structure was fully engulfed in flames when crews arrived.

Firefighters were able to keep the fire from spreading to the home, but the soffit and a part of the attic above the garage were damaged.

The resident suffered burns to their hands and arms and was taken to a local hospital. Officials said the incident caused about $150,000 in damage.

An investigation showed that the fire started after the resident used a wet/dry vacuum to siphon gas out of a vehicle.