Fire at Madison home caused by improperly discarded coals displaces two
MADISON, Wis. — Two people were displaced Sunday morning after a fire at a Madison home.
Crews were sent to the 2600 block of Stevens Street just after 10 a.m. for a fire reported on the back porch of a house.
Heavy smoke could be seen from two blocks away and brown smoke was seen coming from the eaves of the home. Flames could be seen coming from a window on the side of the home.
Firefighters were able to extinguish the flames and ensure nobody was in the house. Crews remained on scene to ventilate the home.
Officials said the fire was caused by improperly disposed ashes. The damage was mostly contained to the rear porch and kitchen, though part of the attic was also damage.
An initial damage estimate was set at $320,000. The displaced residents are being assisted by the American Red Cross.
COPYRIGHT 2022 BY CHANNEL 3000. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. THIS MATERIAL MAY NOT BE PUBLISHED, BROADCAST, REWRITTEN OR REDISTRIBUTED.