Duplex fire displaces residents

Fire causes major damage to kitchen area

A fire displaced seven duplex residents on Madison’s south side Monday.

Madison firefighters were called around 3:30 p.m. to 2618 Greenway View. No smoke or flames were showing as fire crews arrived.

Three people were inside the home at the time of the fire, and everyone evacuated prior to the arrival of the fire crews.

The fire was out when firefighters arrived, but fire crews checked to be sure the fire did not penetrate inside the walls and ceiling of the home.

Madison Fire Department officials said a pan of grease was on the stove when it started on fire. A resident attempted to put the fire out with water, which splattered onto him. He was treated and released at the scene by paramedics.

There was major fire damage in the kitchen area with smoke damage throughout the first floor, according to a Madison Fire Department news release.

The fire did not spread to the adjacent residence next door.

The fire caused an estimated damage of $10,000, according to the news release. There were working smoke alarms within the home.

The Red Cross is assisting four adults and three teenage children for housing needs. The occupants have renter’s insurance.