Dog dies in east side house fire

Restaurant to reopen Wednesday after employees put out fire

A family pet died in a house fire on Madison’s east side that caused up to $65,000 in damage Thursday afternoon, according to a release.

Firefighters were sent to the 5400 block of Retana Drive just before 3:30 p.m. after smoke was seen coming from an attached garage, officials said.

The family was not home at the time, and when crews arrived they said the garage was filled with smoke, according to the release.

As firefighters went through the house they found the family’s dog unconscious near the front door, officials said. Firefighters performed compressions and provided oxygen, but the dog died of smoke inhaliation. There were no other injuries reported.