Dog dies after ingesting Ice Breakers gum

Officials seek dog that bit rabies-positive bat in Baraboo

A family in western Wisconsin had to put its dog down after the dog ingested Ice Breakers brand gum.

According to a KARE 11 report, the gum caused severe liver damage to the dog because it contains the ingredient xylitol.

Dr. Justine Lee told KARE 11 that if xylitol is in the first three to five ingredients of a product, dog owners should keep that product away from their pet.

She said xylitol can be found in products like sugar-free vitamins, toothpaste, dental floss and a variety of baked goods.