Deputies: Man flees hit-and-run on 3 wheels, rams squad car

Deputies: Man flees hit-and-run on 3 wheels, rams squad car
Wayne Ferguson

A Muscoda man turned himself in to police after fleeing from a crash scene on only three wheels and ramming a squad car, according to a release from the Grant County Sheriff’s Office.

Deputies were called to Highway 133 at West Pine Road in the town of Muscoda at 7:07 p.m. Monday for a report of a hit-and-run crash.

Investigators said Wayne Ferguson, 48, was traveling east on Highway 133 in a Dodge Grand Caravan when he turned north on West Pine Road in front of a Jeep Liberty driven by Christine Gulsrud, 44, of Richland Center. Gulsrud struck the passenger side of Ferguson’s vehicle. She and her two passengers, Anthony Davis, 19, of Abbotsford,, and a 12-year-old from Muscoda suffered minor injuries. They were treated at the scene, according to the report.

Ferguson’s van suffered heavy rear-end damage and lost the rear tire on the passenger side, but he fled the scene, traveling east on Highway 133 on only three tires, deputies said.

A Muscoda police officer spotted Ferguson’s van near Highway 133 and Sportsman’s Drive a short time later and attempted to stop the van. Deputies said Ferguson would not stop and he was chased throughout the village of Muscoda.

Ferguson turned around and rammed the Muscoda squad car head-on during the pursuit. Ferguson fled again and the pursuit continued, ending at Highway 133 and Sportsman’s Drive as Ferguson attempted to ram the Muscoda squad car again, this time in reverse, according to the report. Ferguson missed the car, drove into the ditch and ran away, deputies said.

A K-9 led deputies on a mile and a half track to Ferguson’s home on Thrush Cove in the town of Muscoda. Police searched the home but didn’t find Ferguson. Deputies said they later learned that someone had picked Ferguson up moments before they arrived.

The Muscoda squad car sustained moderate front end damage and the officer suffered minor injuries. The officer was treated but not taken to a hospital.

Deputies said they believe alcohol was a contributing factor in the incident.

Ferguson is currently on probation supervision and a warrant was issued for his arrest.