Fire at metal recycling facility caused estimated $30K in damage, fire officials say
MADISON, Wis. — Emergency crews responded Monday to a fire at a metal recycling facility on Madison’s east side after a flammable liquid was ignited by a spark inside an automobile shredder.
Madison firefighters responded to Alter Metal Recycling in the 4400 block of Sycamore Ave. around 1:40 p.m.
When crews arrived, they found flames engulfing a metal compactor that was located at the top of a large industrial conveyor belt. Because the fire was several hundred yards into the property and far from a hydrant, firefighters with Engine Co. 5 connected to the hydrant and subsequently relayed a connection to Ladder 8.
Crews then worked to put out the fire from above by using Ladder Co. 8’s 100-foot aerial platform.
The fire caused an estimated $30,000 in damage and was ruled accidental. According to an MFD incident report, fire officials believe the flammable liquid that caused the fire was gasoline.
No one was injured during the incident.
Sycamore Avenue was closed as crews responded, but reopened around 3:10 p.m.
COPYRIGHT 2020 BY CHANNEL 3000. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. THIS MATERIAL MAY NOT BE PUBLISHED, BROADCAST, REWRITTEN OR REDISTRIBUTED.