Cooking oil sparks fire, displaces Madison resident
MADISON, Wis. — A Madison resident was displaced Tuesday after a fire.
Crews were called to a home in the 900 block of Menomonie Lane just before 9:30 p.m.
Madison Fire Department officials said the person was cooking and added oil to a hot skillet. When it hit the skillet, the oil flashed and a set of cabinets above the stove caught fire.
Officials said the person threw baking soda on the fire before evacuating, but that was not enough. Flames were still present when crews arrived, and a water can was used to put out the blaze. Electricity was shut down in the immediate area.
While no injuries were reported, officials said the person was not able to return to their home due to the damage.
COPYRIGHT 2022 BY CHANNEL 3000. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. THIS MATERIAL MAY NOT BE PUBLISHED, BROADCAST, REWRITTEN OR REDISTRIBUTED.