Boiling cauliflower sets off carbon monoxide alarm, officials say
MADISON, Wis. — Firefighters determined a carbon monoxide alarm that was set off Wednesday night in an east side apartment was caused by cooking cauliflower, according to a release.
Crews were sent around 11:30 p.m. to an apartment in the 20 block of Sherman Terrace for reports of a carbon monoxide detector that was sounding, officials said.
Firefighters detected 20 parts per million of carbon monoxide at the front door, and it eventually went above 30 ppm as they suited up and went into the apartment, according to the release.
After the apartment was ventilated, the occupant told firefighters she had been boiling cauliflower for a long period of time, officials said.
Firefighters determined the cauliflower was the source of incomplete combustion, which led to the carbon monoxide readings.
COPYRIGHT 2023 BY CHANNEL 3000. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. THIS MATERIAL MAY NOT BE PUBLISHED, BROADCAST, REWRITTEN OR REDISTRIBUTED.