Baby, parents escape east side house fire

Damage to home estimated at $40K
Baby, parents escape east side house fire

Fire officials said a smoke alarm saved a couple and their baby from a fire that began — and crews contained to — the basement.

The Madison Fire Department received a report of a fire at about 11:20 p.m. Friday on the city’s east side.

According to the report, a family living at 420 Jean St. awoke to the sound of smoke alarms. The man noticed smoke coming from the basement. His wife grabbed their infant and everyone got out safely.

The fire department said no one was hurt.

Fire officials said crews saw heavy smoke coming from one side of the house when they arrived.

When firefighters entered the house, they noticed light smoke down to the floor, the report said. As they entered the basement, the smoke and heat intensified. A thermal-imaging camera helped firefighters locate the blaze and the fire was extinguished less than 10 minutes, according to the department. Firefighters also noticed water spraying from a main line in the basement, which officials said had slowed the progress of the fire. It was found that the heat from the fire had melted a solder joint in the water line.

The report noted the home had sustained fire and water damage in the basement area and smoke damage throughout the building.

Madison fire officials said the family is insured and will be staying with relatives.

Damage is estimated at $40,000, according to the department.

Officials said the fire remains under investigation.